- Explore traditional Japanese culture, including incense production and sake-tasting!
- Satisfy your sweet tooth with smoothies, gelato, and dagashi—small candies
- Pedal at a relaxed pace with an e-bike rental
¥43,000 per person for one person
¥27,000 per person for two people
*For three or more people, there is an additional discount per person
Bike off the beaten path with a cycling tour in Ishioka City, situated in Ibaraki Prefecture. This small city is conveniently located about a one-hour train ride from Tokyo Station via the JR Hitachi and Tokiwa Limited Express line, making it an excellent day trip.
With this one-day tour, join immersive cultural experiences, admire traditional crafts, and recharge with delicious sweets all within beautifully-maintained historic buildings, some of which are over 100 years old! Between the spots, hop on your helpful e-bike and enjoy leisurely exercise as you unwind in the open air.
① Komamura Seimei-do
After picking up your bike at Kappo Ryokan Izumi-so, start your adventure with a factory tour at Komamura Seimei-do—an over 100-year old incense manufacturer that uses an old-fashioned waterwheel to craft its products. During your visit, gain insight into this ancient technique and enjoy the aroma of countless incense sticks.
Closed day(s): Sunday
② Kominka Cafe Okano Farm
After basking in the tranquil fragrance of incense, pedal to Kominka Cafe Okano Farm and enjoy a relaxed lunch in a renovated traditional Japanese house. This part cafe, part farm offers a range of homey meals made with local and seasonal ingredients. For an additional fee, the tour recommends that you also purchase a freshly made smoothie to keep you energized for the biking ahead.
Closed day(s): Monday and Tuesday
③ Machikura Ai
Next, travel further back in time with a stop at Machikura Ai. This old folk house and registered tangible cultural property, sells a variety of dagashi, or cheap Japanese candies, and has a cafe corner where you can enjoy a energizing cup of matcha. Reconnect with your inner child as you peruse the cutely packaged candies.
Closed day(s): Thursday
After choosing your favorite dagashi, bike to Suzumeya—a Japanese boutique—and learn about traditional patterns from a craftswoman who makes kimonos and accessories for the region’s local festivals. Although the biking tour includes a souvenir pouch from the shop, be sure to peruse the facility’s other mesmerizing products, including its stylish bags.
Closed day(s): None
⑤ Shiragiku Brewery
Finish your cultural exploration with a sake brewery tour at the over 200-year old Shiragiku Brewery. Learn the art of sake-making and then enjoy sake tasting and snack pairings. Check out their products as well, for a souvenir that embodies your experience.
Since you are not permitted to ride your bike after drinking sake, you will have to walk to the final destination. The walk is only about eight minutes.
Closed day(s): None
⑥ Kappo Ryokan Izumi-so
Lastly, with new cultural insight and experiences, return your bike rental at Kappo Ryokan Izumi-so, a welcoming hotel and bike rental hub.
Closed day(s): None
Included in price
- English interpreter/cycling guide
- E-bike rental
- Factory tour and incense at Komamura Seimei-do
- Lunch at Kominka Cafe Okano Farm
- Matcha and snacks at Machikura Ai
- Visit fee and souvenir pouch at Suzumeya
- Visit fee, sake tasting, and snacks at Shiragiku Brewery
- Smoothies and gelato at Kominka Cafe Okano Farm
- Transportation fees aside from cycling
- Transportation to starting point and from ending point
- Personal expenses, such as souvenirs
- Reservations for the tour should be made at least one month in advance.
- Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays offer the exact tour experience described above. For other days, alternative locations may be arranged.
- Please let us know in advance if you have any allergies or dietary restrictions.
What you need to bring
- Wear comfortable clothes for a day of cycling
- Personal spending money for souvenirs and purchases outside of the tour package
- A backpack for carrying souvenirs included in tour package
- Five days prior to your trip – 30%
- The day before – 50%
- Same day – 100%
There are no reviews yet.