- Live like a samurai for a day, and learn to use a katana sword
- Spend a night in a Buddhist monastery, and practice zen
- Experience first hand how people lived in the past
Discover what the actual daily life of a samurai in feudal era Japan encompassed. Join us on a trip to the past and experience wearing real samurai clothing within the Sennan Monastery. In addition, practice swordsmanship and learn specific sword fighting techniques from your guide. Learn authentic zen mediation techniques from a Buddhist monk, enjoy traditional Japanese food of the Edo period, discover how old buildings are still cleaned and maintained and understand what day to day life meant for samurai and how it impacted their personal lives.
09:30 You will be met by our guides at Sennan Izumi Sunagawa Station, which is around 40 minute train ride from Osaka Tennoji station
10:00 We will head over to Toyotomi Temple. Here we will have a meet and greet with the head monk of the monastery.
10:30 Demonstration and wearing of traditional samurai clothing. This will take place in the samurai wing of the monastery. Here not only will you have the opportunity to wear authentic samurai apparel, but your guide will give you a thorough understanding of the production and purpose of each item that the samurai wore.
11:30 Tour of Toyotomi Temple. During this guided tour, you will be shown the daily practices and rituals of the monks living at the temple and gain an insight into how Buddhism is practiced in Japan.
12:00 We will head up to the mountain for lunch, we will drive 20 minute into the mountain to a village built like an Edo period settlement, and learn about katana studies - ”The Way of the Warrior”. You will learn what life was like for the samurai warrior, specifically focused on weapons use and the honor code by which the samurai were expected to live.
13:00 Lunch we will cook by ourselves
14:00 Zen and meditation study
14:30 Samurai sword play. Learn the katana (sword) techniques of the samurai warrior. Hold genuine, expertly crafted samurai swords and learn about how they are made and their importance to the samurai warrior. After that we will return to the temple.
19:00 Dinner. We will cook a samurai hot pot dish.
21:00 Shower and free time
22:00 Lights out
05:20 Wake up
06:00 Join the monks for a morning payer.
06:30 Prepare breakfast for the team
08:00 Further zen meditation study. This will be done in full samurai clothing.
09:00 Test of the katana (sword) training.
10:15 We will visit the nearby temple built for the Tokugawa Shogun three hundred years ago. Here we will tour the temple itself and gain an insight into the importance and purpose of ringing bells and a Buddhist temple.
12:00 You will return to your room to pick up your belongings and head over to Izumi Sunigawa Station
Points to keep in mind:
- Everyone will sleep in a shared room on futons and a traditional tatami mat floor
- The room is used by sumo wrestlers when they arrive in Osaka
- Currently there is only one shower and bath to be shared by the group
- No alcohol or illicit drugs may be consumed on the tour
- Respect to your fellow tour attendees and the monks in the temple is a MUST
- The sumo stage located on the first floor of the temple is NOT to be climbed on
This tour includes
- Katana training
- Zen lesson
- Outdoor cooking
- Sleep over in a temple
- Training in the countryside
- Visit to tokogawas temple
This tour does NOT include
Know before you book
- The experience is available only on Mondays,Wednesday, and Fridays
- In February and March, as sumo wrestlers sleep in their respective sumo stables, guests on the tour will be provided with traditional, Edo-era style accommodation in a village in the mountains area
- The experience will not be available from May 1 thru May 18, 2019
- Cancellation: 2 days prior to the day of your trip – 40 %,
1 day prior – 50 %,
On the day – 100 %
No-show – 100 %
- Let us know what you cannot eat
- Let us know about your allergies
- No alcohol or drugs are allowed
- In February and March we will not sleep in the temple as sumo wrestlers use
- The toilets are shared
- Bath and shower are shared
- An English speaking guide will be with you the whole time.
- For now we except only 7 people at once
- The minimum age is 15
- Note that the provided accommodation is not a hotel, however, we can arrange a hotel for guests who would like to stay in a hotel. This arrangement is charged extra and subject to hotel room availability.
What you need to bring
- T shirt
- Short pants
- Warm clothes in winter
- Comfortable shoes
- Tooth brush
- And lots of positive attitude