- Thrilling 4-hour rafting experience on the mighty Yoshino river, equipment included
- Good quality road bike or multi-gear commuter bike, per your request, with the necessary equipment included
- Stay at mountain-side home in the dramatic Otoyo valley, dinner included
This overnight thrilling tour is for active people on a modest budget, or simply to do a worthy workout. Day 1 has you cycling up from Kochi City to Otoyo valley, where you will stay at a historic and picturesque mountainside home. Day 2 takes you rafting from mid-morning until mid-afternoon, followed by an easy downhill ride back to Kochi City. The overnight cycling and rafting Kochi tour will surely become the highlight of your trip to Japan.
We also recommend a self-drive 4-day tour in Kochi which takes you around Ohenro and more.
This tour combines two of the best outside activities to be enjoyed in Kochi – cycling and rafting. For the cycling portion you have the choice of guided or self-guided, while for the rafting we supply guides who also speak English.
Day 1 you will pick up your bicycle at a designated location in Kochi City. Depending on your request and budget, your trusty steed will either be a commuter bicycle with 10+ gears, or a road bicycle with 22 gears. The ride will take you up Route 254 and 32 as far as the Otoyo valley, 400 meters above sea level. While this sounds difficult, in fact, the rise is gentle 90% of the way, with just one 3 km section accounting for about 250 m of the climb. This is short enough that if it gets too much you can walk it, and in fact the overall distance is just 32km. We estimate that most people can do the distance in 2-4 hours.
Once at your destination in Otoyo (the supplier facility is just steps from the station there), you will be greeted by our supplier and given a short orientation of the rafting facility. Then after some time to catch your breath, you will be driven (bike and all) to your accommodation high up on the steep mountainsides of the valley, for a magical evening of dinner, drinks, and a long soak in the bath. The views from the homes we use are spectacular, so be sure to bring your camera.
On Day 2, you will be picked up from your accommodation and taken to the rafting base to get changed and receive a safety orientation. Then it is time for the river – a course that will run about 2-2.5 hours on the water itself. The course is huge fun, and includes a number of rapids and quiet stretches squeezed between high cliffs. The experience also includes free photos of you and your group, which will be supplied to you later on CD.
Following the rafting experience and getting changed, you will be served refreshments, then it is time to set off for the return trip to Kochi. This is perhaps the best part, since apart from a short climb out of the Otoyo valley, much of the way is downhill.
Day 1 (Schedules can be adjusted with prior notice)
09:00 Arrive at bicycle pickup point (typically Kochi Station or Kochi Airport, depending on our prior advice to you). Receive instructions on bike usage, bike care, road safety, and support.
09:30 Depart for Otoyo destination.
13:00 Arrive at our rafting supplier’s home base, for teaming with other crew members in your raft, course introduction, fitting, and basic instructions
13:30 Optional hiking or canyoning in the afternoon. See options below, else you have free time to explore the pretty hillsides of Otoyo.
16:30 Arrive back at Home Base, get changed, chill for a spell
17:30 Supplier will take you back to your accommodation, and prepare a BBQ.
08:30 Pick up from your accommodation by supplier’s driver
09:00 Arrive at the home base, then introduction, fitting, and basic instructions
09:30 Travel in supplier’s van to the launch point, where the safety orientation starts, along with instructions on how to handle the paddles and raft.
12:00 After 2 ½ hours of incredible thrills and fun, you arrive at the pickup point, just meters away from the supplier’s home base
13:00 After changing, enjoy a free bagel baked on the premises, and receive your complimentary photo CD with all the shots taken by your river guide
14:00 Head out for the return trip to Kochi
17:30 Arrive at Kochi Train Station or Kochi Airport
Included in price
- Priority booking, including customization of experience (extra cost)
- Road or commuter bicycle (please specify when ordering tour)
- Helmet and course map (digital)
- Accommodation, evening meal, and breakfast in Otoyo
- Delivery and pickup from supplier home base to accommodation
- Rafting guide fee, insurance, wet suit and shoes, life jacket, river helmet, accessory equipment, photo data
- Chat and voice support in English
- Vehicle rental, tolls, gas, parking if you decide to drive
- Insurance for vehicle or yourself and passengers
- Admission to any additional attractions that have gate/entry fees
- Vehicle accessories such as child seat, freezer box, etc.
- WiFi Router unless purchased separately, as recommended
- Guides or other persons in attendance, other than the scheduled activities
- Equipment for any activities you may plan to do independently (unless booked separately with us)
Know before you book
- All bookings must be made at least 1 week in advance, to allow us to prepare equipment and transport.
- This cycling/rafting experience depends on availability coinciding with your travel dates, and we may suggest a nearby date if not available.
- This tour includes dinner, but the area is quite remote, so if you need snacks and beverages, be sure to pack them before arriving in Otoyo, or contact us for our optional bag delivery service.
- If you have diet preferences (no meat, no gluten, etc.), be sure to let us know this.
- You will not need a working (connected to Japanese cellular network) mobile phone for this activity, but if you wish to use one, we have high-performance, reasonably priced Wi-Fi routers available for pickup in Kochi BEFORE you leave for Otoyo.
- Some parts of the activity may be modified depending on weather and seasonal conditions.
- High season bookings - there is a surcharge for high-season reservations (July 23, 24, 25, August 1, 2, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 22, 23, 29, 30, and September 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, 20, 21)
- Obon bookings - there is a surcharge for Obon period reservations (August 13, 14, 15)
- Whole guest house rental is available at JPY 50,000. Contact us for more details. <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Guest room pricing for children: JPY 3,000 (6-11 years old); JPY 2,000(3-5 years old). Contact us if you are planning on traveling with children.
2 days prior to the day of your trip: 40 % of tour price
1 day prior: 50 % of tour price
On the day, no-show: 100 % of tour price
- Japan is a safe country and this activity is low-risk, furthermore, the activity itself includes insurance coverage while you are with the supplier. However, considering the travel there and back, as well as perhaps wanting more extensive insurance coverage, we advise you to consider personal and third-party travel insurance out of abundant caution
- If you are renting a car to get to Otoyo, we recommend you buy the car rental company's insurance policy
Options at extra charge
- High-grade road bike (Shimano 105 or better).
- Giant saddle bag for extra clothes and other personal items
- Cycling guide for trip up to Otoyo.
- Afternoon trekking (guided) or canyoning, on the first day.
Note: you need to be fit to do this after the cycling uphill to Otoyo, otherwise we recommend taking it easy and doing some casual walking or riding in the area until your transport to the accommodation is ready.
- Choice of food grade for evening BBQ, or if you are vegetarian, then Indian dishes are also available.
What you need to bring
- Sturdy pair of water-friendly sandals or shoes if you prefer to use your own
- Swimsuit, towel, change of clothes
- If you wear contact lenses, bring a spare pair of goggles
- Glasses strap if you are wearing sunglasses or prescription glasses
- Waterproof camera if you want to take your own photos and videos
- Sunglasses, water bottle, and other personal accessories.
How to get there
- By cycle: Refer to the road map that will be supplied by Japan Travel KK. However, in essence you will follow Routes 13, 55, 364, 31, and 254 up to Otoyo.
- By train: Take the JR Dosan Line from Kochi Station and alight at Tosa-Iwahara station (D28 stop). The rafting home base is just 1-2 minutes walk south of the station on the same road. Trip time from Kochi: around 90 minutes. Trains are very irregular, so be careful about departure times and both ends of your trip. Tickets are available at the ticket office of Kochi Station for a return trip, or each way, with a machine-dispensed ticket at Tosa-Iwahara station. Another option is to take a limited express to Oboke station. These trains run every hour. You must contact HappyRaft to arrange a pickup from Oboke station.
- By car: After renting your vehicle, set your navigation system to 221-1 Ikadagi, Otoyo, Nagaoka District, Kochi 789-0157. Get on the Kochi Expressway at the Kochi interchange and follow the route north to National Route 439, then leave 439 at the Otoyo interchange (Exit 9) and follow National Route 32 to Iwahara.
Organised by Japan Travel KK
There are no reviews yet.