- Set on an unforgettable ride along the scenic Fuji Five Lakes at the base of majestic Mt. Fuji
- Eat like a local - rest stops every 20 kilometers offer the opportunity to enjoy the taste of rural Japan with local delicacies available to help you re-energize & keep going
- Fuji Long Ride offers three unique courses for cyclists of any level
Join the 2019 Fujisan Long Ride Event! Let this iconic Mt Fuji cycling event be one of the highlights during your visit in Japan. Choose one of the three bike courses available. If you are an advanced cyclist, embark on a 130 km ride around all Five Fuji Lakes. As an intermediate cyclist you can choose the 60 km ride around Lake Yamanakako and Lake Kawaguchiko. Lastly, if you are looking for a relaxed course, as a beginner cyclist, set out on the 30 km course around Lake Yamanakako and scenic Oshino Village.
The Fuji Long Ride is Japan’s iconic cycling event that takes cyclists of all levels on an unforgettable ride near Mt. Fuji and around the five great lakes. Mt. Fuji is long said to have spiritual powers that lift visitors to new heights! The three course options are designed to give any cyclists a chance to ride at his or her own pace and skill level. Along the ride you’ll enjoy stunning views and the chance to refuel on seasonal Japanese delicacies.
Please note that all three courses take cyclists around the base of Mt. Fuji and the surrounding five lakes.
At no point will riders ascend Mt. Fuji.
Mt. Fuji Long Ride Event details:
Sept 7 and Sept 8, 2019
If participants are in the event area on Sept 7 and able to register in person on that day, they can purchase tickets at the following prices:
Challenge Ride (130 km) at 9,000 yen
Enjoy Ride (60 km) at 6,000 yen
Family Ride (30 km) at 4,000 yen
September 8 (Sun), 2019
Yamanakako Exchange Plaza KIRARA
〒401-0502 479-2 Hirano, Yamanakako-mura
• Challenge Ride for experienced cyclists - a 130 km course around around all Fuji Five Lakes.
• Enjoy Ride for advanced cyclists - a 60 km course around Lake Yamanakako and Lake Kawaguchiko
• Family Ride for beginners - a 30 km course around Lake Kawaguchiko with spectacular views of Mt. Fuji
• Challenge Ride:
Group A: 06:00 / Group B: 06:45 / Group C: 07:30
• Enjoy Ride: 08:30
• Family Ride: 10:00
COT (Cut-off time) is 17:00 for all riders irrespective of group/course.
All riders need to reach the last check point along their respective course by 16:00.
While participation is open to cyclists of all levels, those wishing to participate should be in good health and confident in their ability to complete their chosen course.
Minors aged 12 to 15 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
Minors aged 16 to 19 must provide signature approval by a parent or guardian.
Please note that views of Mt Fuji may be affected by changeable weather conditions.
Read about this iconic event and see more photos here.
Looking to join the event and travel with a group from Tokyo? Click here.
Included in price
- Snacks (max. 1 per rest area) and drinks are available from rest areas along the course
- Certificate of completion (in Japanese) awarded to those who complete their respective course
- Insurance for Japanese citizens and foreigners residing in Japan (for details see "Important information" section)
- Insurance for participants who are inbound travelers - temporary visitors to Japan. They need to have their own travel insurance arranged in order to participate in the event. Alternatively, these participants can join the event as a one-day tour from Tokyo with Japan Travel KK, where insurance is provided
- Insurance for rental bikes (participants will be asked to sign Agreement form upon booking)
- Insurance for personal bikes
Know before you book:
The event organizers reserve the right to deny participation to anyone who is not willing to comply with the rules and regulations. Rules and regulations of the event will be sent to participants via email.
What you need to bring:
In case you are bringing your own bicycle, also bring accompanying equipment (a helmet, basic bicycle repair kit) and wear appropriate clothing suitable for cycling
Other important information:
Event organizer (Roots Sports Japan) insurance coverage for foreign residents in Japan:
Death/ Physical impediment: up to 3 million yen
In-hospital treatment: 3,000 yen (per day, up to 180 days)
Hospital visit : 2,000 yen (per day)
- Available rental bikes are suitable for height ranges between 145 cm and 185 cm.
- Rental bikes are limited in number when it comes to the respective types available, however the event organizer will try their best to provide the type of bike indicated in the booking
Details about rental bikes:
It's built for traveling at speed on paved roads so the construction is lightweight. The tires are narrow and high-pressured. The handlebars are bent ("dropped") to allow the rider position to be leaned forward and downward.
More than half of participants ride road bikes, but some people who never ride road bikes might feel uncomfortable in unusual position.
It's designed to enhance durability and performance in rough terrain. The features are wide knobby tires, flat handlebars and powerful brakes.
Mountain Bikes are slow-moving in comparison with road bikes, but good for a beginner.
- 15 min from Higashifuji-goko Road Yamanakako Interchange
- 25 min from Tōmei Expressway Gotemba Interchange
From the Tokyo area:
- Take the Fujikyukou bus departing from Tokyo Station's Yaesu Kita (North) exit (東京駅八重洲北口) bus terminal to the last stop, Yamanakako Asahigaoka Bus Terminal (山中湖旭ヶ丘バスターミナル).
Similar Fujikyukou buses depart from Shinjuku's highway bus terminal to Yamanakako Asahigaoka Bus Terminal.
- Buses departing from Shibuya will take you to a number of bus stops nearby Mt. Fuji - you will then need to transfer and board a second bus to Yamanaka Lake.
- For more information on the Fujikyukou highway buses, click here (in English).
From the Tokyo area:
- From Shinjuku station, take the JR Chuo Line to Otsuki Station (about 90 min). Board the Fujikyu Railway to Fujisan Station (about 50 min), then take the Fujikyukou bus to Yamanaka Lake (about 25 min).
- From Tokyo station, take the JR Tokaido Honsen (Main Line) to Kozu Station (about 80 min). Board the Gotenba Line to Gotenba Station (about 1 hour), then take the Fujikyukou Bus to Yamanaka Lake (about 40 min).
Organised by Roots Sports Japan
I went to the event together with my husband. We did the 60 km course and used road bikes the first time in our lives. It was a lot of fun, the snacks along the way were delicious. All the people were having a good time and the views around the Mt Fuji area are also a big plus. We will definitely go there again this year!
Attended this cycling event last year. Great group experience with ample breaks and snacks along the way. Very friendly environment.