- Immerse yourself in Kyoto textile temple markets
- Explore off the beaten track - a few Kyoto's hidden treasures
- Join me at Workshop in my Kyoto Studio to create your masterpiece, remade from your temple market finds
'"Passionate about Japanese textiles as well as sustainable fashion, I believe in the deconstruction and reconstruction of vintage kimono and obi."- Sally
At the temple markets, I'll help you select the perfect textiles for the workshop. The following day's workshop will be held be in my cozy Kyoto Studio, overlooking a traditional Japanese garden of black pine & azaleas, where by days end you will have reworked your treasured textiles into a handcrafted & unique piece. All skill levels will be catered for with the several options I will be showing you how to construct.
From the Past to the Present… amazing things can happen.
Day 1: Temple Markets Textile Shopping and "Off the beaten track" a few of Kyoto's Hidden Treasures
- 08:00 am Meeting at Market gates: Early morning start, scouring a glorious selection of kimono, obi & vintage Japanese textiles (2 to 3 hours).
I'll help you select the perfect pieces for the following days’ workshop as well as introducing you to the best textile market vendors.
- Market lunch: a wonderful variety of freshly cooked market foods such as takoyaki, okonmiyaki and more
- Followed by 'Off The Beaten Track' a few of Kyoto's hidden treasures.
- Around 17:00: Hotel drop off: Home and homework in preparation for the following day’s workshop in my traditional 1961 Kyoto, wooden house.
Day 2: Kyoto Studio Day
- Hotel pick-up then back to my cozy Kyoto Studio in Yamashina where, by day’s end, you’ll have reworked your previous day’s finds into a contemporary, wearable handcrafted & most importantly, unique piece.
All skill levels can be catered for, with varying degrees of difficulty in the pieces I will be showing you how to construct. A bomber jacket for the skilled… or maybe a tunic, shrug or Sunday bag.
- Lovely lunch in my kitchen or garden (weather permitting)
- Hotel drop off.
"The reworking of pre loved & pre worn kimono into a contemporary piece for Modern times not only resurrects an otherwise unseen piece of art, your creation already has a lived in feel & if only textiles could talk…so many stories would be told.” - Sally
Included in price
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- All car transport
- Workshop fees
- Workshop lunch & refreshments on Day 2
- All accessories needed for the project construction
- Transportation to Market Gate on Day 1
- Market lunch on Day 1
- Any fabric or otherwise purchases at the markets
Dates: Twice each month
Organised by Sally Smith Designer
I had such a great time at Sally Smith’s textile workshop in Kyoto, a unique experience well worth trying and I feel honored that I had such an opportunity to become so immersed in the traditional Japanese textile culture for the two days, learn so much with everything organized The whole two days were fun and memorable, from Sally’s guided visit to the famous textile vendors at Kyoto’s Toji markets, making it easy to navigate and with the chance to purchase rare and incredible textiles under her guidance, to the overnight stay at her traditional wooden house in a small village by the shores of magnificent Lake Biwa followed by the creative workshop with inspirations and galore and all the technical help I needed to create the lovely piece I created to take home (along with many ideas and fabrics for my next project) Sally made everything easy in an exclusive tour well above and beyond the type usually available to tourists visiting Japan. Highly recommended.