- Immerse yourself in Kyoto textile temple markets
- Explore off the beaten track - a few Kyoto's hidden treasures
- Join me at Workshop in my Kyoto Studio to create your masterpiece, remade from your temple market finds
'"Passionate about Japanese textiles as well as sustainable fashion, I believe in the deconstruction and reconstruction of vintage kimono and obi."- Sally
At the temple markets, I'll help you select the perfect textiles for the workshop. The following day's workshop will be held be in my cozy Kyoto Studio, overlooking a traditional Japanese garden of black pine & azaleas, where by days end you will have reworked your treasured textiles into a handcrafted & unique piece. All skill levels will be catered for with the several options I will be showing you how to construct.
From the Past to the Present… amazing things can happen.
Day 1: Temple Markets Textile Shopping and "Off the beaten track" a few of Kyoto's Hidden Treasures
- 08:00 am Meeting at Market gates: Early morning start, scouring a glorious selection of kimono, obi & vintage Japanese textiles (2 to 3 hours).
I'll help you select the perfect pieces for the following days’ workshop as well as introducing you to the best textile market vendors.
- Market lunch: a wonderful variety of freshly cooked market foods such as takoyaki, okonmiyaki and more
- Followed by 'Off The Beaten Track' a few of Kyoto's hidden treasures.
- Around 17:00: Hotel drop off: Home and homework in preparation for the following day’s workshop in my traditional 1961 Kyoto, wooden house.
Day 2: Kyoto Studio Day
- Hotel pick-up then back to my cozy Kyoto Studio in Yamashina where, by day’s end, you’ll have reworked your previous day’s finds into a contemporary, wearable handcrafted & most importantly, unique piece.
All skill levels can be catered for, with varying degrees of difficulty in the pieces I will be showing you how to construct. A bomber jacket for the skilled… or maybe a tunic, shrug or Sunday bag.
- Lovely lunch in my kitchen or garden (weather permitting)
- Hotel drop off.
"The reworking of pre loved & pre worn kimono into a contemporary piece for Modern times not only resurrects an otherwise unseen piece of art, your creation already has a lived in feel & if only textiles could talk…so many stories would be told.” - Sally
Included in price
- Hotel pickup and drop off
- All car transport
- Workshop fees
- Workshop lunch & refreshments on Day 2
- All accessories needed for the project construction
- Transportation to Market Gate on Day 1
- Market lunch on Day 1
- Any fabric or otherwise purchases at the markets
Organised by Sally Smith Designer
There are no reviews yet.