- Get first-hand tips and coaching from a professionally-trained photographer
- Experience Mount Fuji, the most iconic symbol of Japan
- Delight in the abundance of cherry blossoms
Nothing says "Japan" like Mt. Fuji, and there's no better time to explore the area than cherry blossom season! This spring, you can join professional photographer Leslie Taylor on the shores of Fuji's five lakes, taking in the world-famous views while the blossoms bloom all around. Throughout the adventure, Leslie will be there to guide and help you take the best images possible.
About The Mt. Fuji Spring Photography Adventure
Mt. Fuji has long served as a symbol for the unique beauty of Japan. At 12,389 feet tall (3,776 meters), it is the tallest mountain in the country. In 2013, it became an official World Heritage site, marking its significance for both Japan and the entire world. In this 5-day photography adventure, you’ll experience that significance firsthand as you join professional photographer Les Taylor in exploring all that the Fuji Five Lakes area has to offer. Sunrises, sunsets, sakura (cherry blossoms), and stars are just some of the scenic views we’ll enjoy on this adventure. Additionally, you’ll have the chance to interact with Les during several post-processing sessions throughout the week, as he shows you how to edit your images to take them to the next level. But this adventure is about more than just photography - that’s why it’s called an adventure! During our journey, we’ll stay in a classic Japanese inn (equipped with a private natural hot spring bath), visit an ancient mountainside temple, enjoy delicious local and seasonal foods, and much more - all included in the price of the tour. (See the cost section below for more details.) This is where the expertise of Japan Travel will especially be felt, as they make sure we get to experience it all in style! This is a unique trip, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience and photograph the majesty of Mt. Fuji.
Les Taylor is an American photographer with abundant experience photographing Japan. Along with selling prints and licensing of his images, he has also done many photography assignments for Japan Travel, and his work has appeared in publications like National Geographic Traveler Magazine and Jetstar Magazine. In addition to his experience leading photo tours in the country, Les has nearly 10 years of experience as a resident of Japan - so not only does he know the country well, but he also speaks Japanese, making him the perfect guide for this photo adventure. Japan is one of Leslie’s favorite locations in the world, and he looks forward to sharing this unique and memorable experience with you!
We will be flexible with weather conditions, so it’s difficult to say exactly where we’ll go on each individual day. However, with that in mind, here’s a basic outline of what we’ll be doing during this 5-day photography adventure:
- Monday, April 15: Meet in Tokyo at 12 pm, after which we will travel by bus to the Fuji-Kawaguchiko area. We'll settle into our inn, followed by a sunset session and dinner together.
- Tuesday, April 16: Photography from sunrise to sunset, including a trip to a mountainside temple with beautiful views of Mt. Fuji. We'll also enjoy the cherry blossom festival along Lake Kawaguchiko. Following dinner together, we'll have a post-processing session.
- Wednesday, April 17: Out shooting all day, taking in scenes along some of Fuji's beautiful lakes. We'll also visit several waterfalls, and enjoy the delicious food in the Fuji Five-Lakes area. We'll enjoy another post-processing session in the evening after dinner.
- Thursday, April 18: Out shooting all day, including a trip to Fuji's 5th station. At 2300 meters up (over 7500 ft) this area offers amazing views over the Fuji Five Lakes region, as well as easy hiking along the side of the mountain. We'll close the day with an image share & critique session.
- Friday, April 19: A final morning of photography and brunch together. The group adventure ends at noon. We will part ways from Kawaguchiko station.
A minimum of 3 participants is required for the tour to run.
A deposit of 30% of the tour price is required for securing your spot.
For all details regarding booking and payment contact us directly.
Days prior to tour - Cancellation fee (% of the tour price)
60 to 31 days - 30%
30 to 11 days - 50%
10 to 6 days - 70 %
5 days to departure day - 100%
This tour includes:
- All travel during the adventure
- All lodging during the adventure
- All group meals*
- Guidance and photography instruction by Les Taylor
- Preparation by Japan Travel
- All entrance fees (e.g. to parks, etc.)
This tour does NOT include:
- Travel to and from Japan
- Tips and gratuities
- Alcoholic beverages
- Snacks & souvenirs
- Unscheduled travel
- Travel insurance
*Most meals will be covered during the adventure, however we may eat at e.g. food stalls at a cherry blossom festival, in which case participants will need to cover their own food costs
Photography Adventure Disclaimer
Both Mt. Fuji and Japan's cherry blossom season are greatly impacted by weather conditions. A cloudy day may obscure visibility of the Mt. Fuji, and temperatures may speed up or delay the blossoms. The planned dates and schedule flexibility give us the best possible chance to see everything. However, that is the great part about having Les as a guide - he knows the area well, and will use his experience and knowledge to make sure that, regardless of conditions, the adventure group has optimal opportunities for photography.
The meeting point will be in Tokyo, decided closer to the tour date itself.