- Get first-hand tips and coaching from a professionally-trained photographer
- Experience Mount Fuji, the most iconic symbol of Japan
- Delight in the abundance of cherry blossoms
Nothing says "Japan" like Mt. Fuji, and there's no better time to explore the area than cherry blossom season! The delicate beauty of the blossoms, mixed with the splendor of Mt. Fuji, makes for a uniquely incredible sight. This spring, you can join professional photographer Leslie Taylor on the shores of Fuji's five lakes, taking in the world-famous views while the blossoms bloom all around. All the while, Leslie will be there to guide and help you take the best images possible.
About The Mt. Fuji Spring Photography Adventure
Mt. Fuji has long served as a symbol for the unique beauty of Japan. At 12,389 feet tall (3,776 meters), it is the tallest mountain in the country. Additionally, in 2013, it became an official World Heritage site, marking its significance not only for Japan, but for the entire world. In this five-day photography adventure, you’ll experience that significance firsthand as you join professional photographer Les Taylor, along with nine other photographers, exploring all that the Fuji Five Lakes area has to offer. Sunrises, sunsets, sakura (cherry blossoms), and stars are just some of the scenic views we’ll take in as we travel around. Additionally, you’ll have the chance to interact with Les during several post-processing sessions throughout the week, as he shows you how to edit your images to take them to the next level. But this adventure is about more than just photography—that’s why it’s called a photography adventure! During our journey, we’ll stay in a classic Japanese inn (equipped with a private natural hot spring bath), visit an ancient mountainside temple, enjoy delicious local and seasonal foods, and much more—all included in the price of the tour. (See the cost section below for more details.) This is where the expertise of Japan Travel will especially be felt, as they make sure we get to experience it all in style! This is truly a one-of-a-kind trip, and a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to experience and photograph the majesty of Mt. Fuji.
Les Taylor is an American photographer with abundant experience photographing both cherry blossoms and Mt. Fuji. Aside from selling prints and licensing of his images, he has also done many photographic assignments for Japan Travel, and his work has appeared in publications like National Geographic Traveler Magazine and Jetstar Magazine. In addition to his experience leading photo tours in the country, Les also has nearly 10 years of experience as a resident of Japan—so not only does he know the country well, but he also speaks Japanese, making him the perfect guide for a photography adventure like this. Mt. Fuji is one of Leslie’s favorite locations in Japan, and he looks forward to sharing this unique and memorable experience with you!
Dates & General Schedule
Since almost all of this photography adventure will be take place in the Fuji Five Lakes area, we will have lots of flexibility built into our schedule. This will allow us to visit locations in the best possible conditions. Keeping in mind that this is likely to change based on the weather, here is a tentative schedule:
- Sunday, April 15 || Meet in Tokyo at 12pm, travel by bus to Fuji-Kawaguchiko. Settle in at the inn, followed by sunset session.
- Monday, April 16 || Photography from sunrise to sunset around the Fuji Five Lakes area. Evening post-processing session.
- Tuesday, April 17 || Slightly more restful day, still with lots of photography and a special group dinner.
- Wednesday, April 18 || Photography from sunrise to sunset around the Fuji Five Lakes area. Evening post-processing session.
- Thursday, April 19 || Sunrise session and morning post-processing session, plus image critiques. Group adventure ends at noon.
A minimum of 3 participants is required for the tour to run.
This tour includes:
- All travel during the adventure
- All lodging during the adventure
- Four special meals
- Guidance and photography instruction by Les Taylor
- Necessary entrance fees (e.g. to parks, etc.).
This tour does NOT include:
- Travel to and from Japan
- Daily meals (though we will typically eat together and some may be covered by the hotel stays), souvenirs
- Unscheduled travel
- Travel insurance
Cherry Blossom Disclaimer
It is important to recognize that cherry blossom season is strongly affected by the weather. Although the planned dates for this photography adventure give us the best chance to see the trees at full bloom, it is impossible to guarantee when they will reach full bloom or how long the blossoms will last each year. However, that is the great part about having Leslie as a guide—he knows the areas well, and even without blossoms, the planned locations have great spots to visit and photograph. Leslie will do his absolute best to make sure the adventure group has optimal opportunities for great photos, regardless of the conditions.
The meeting point will be in Tokyo, decided closer to the tour date itself.