- Experience Dewa Sanzan, the famous pilgrimage path along the three sacred mountains of Haguro, Gassan and Yudono and train with Yamabushi mountain monks in traditional white clothing
- View an unforgettable maiko dance at Somaro Maiko Teahouse full of Kyoto-like charm and atmosphere in the northern port city of Sakata
- Taste the simple yet sophisticated "shojin ryori," monk cuisine, while staying in historic "shukubo," monk lodging, on Mt. Haguro
Immerse all of your senses in the unique Japanese spiritual culture. Tour the Three Mountains of Dewa - "Dewa Sanzan". It is an experience you cannot miss while in traveling in Japan's Chubu region. Join us on our multi-day tour and discover the spiritual side of Yamagata.
Day 1: Fly to Shonai Airport from Haneda Airport, meet with a travel guide at the airport. Go to Sakata City by a dedicated car, have lunch and visit Somaro where you can watch maiko dance. Visit Jurokurakaniwa, go to Mt. Haguro and visit Sanjin Gosaiden, and check into Saikan. Enjoy "shojin ryori"-style dinner at Saikan.
Day 2: Have "shoji ryori"-style breakfast at Saikan. Visit Ideha Cultural Museum after checking out. Go to Mt. Gassan by a dedicated car and visit Midagahara Bog (about an hour of walking time). Go to Mt. Yudono and visit Mt. Yudono Shrine in white clothing. Have lunch at a location of your own choosing. Go to Tsuruoka City and check into Tokyo Daiichi Hotel Tsuruoka. Have dinner in the area. We recommend “Suzune” restaurant, which serves seasonal Tsuruoka foods made with fresh, local ingredients, throughout the year.
Accommodation: Tokyo Daiichi Hotel Tsuruoka
Day 3: Have breakfast at the hotel, check out by 11:00 AM and enjoy leisure time afterwards. Luggage can be checked at the hotel front desk until pick-up time at 16:30 PM. Go to Shonai Airport by a dedicated car and fly to Haneda Airport by ANA400.
Recommended activities in free time:
Included in price
- Round trip airplane ticket from Haneda/Shonai to Shonai/Haneda Airport, dedicated car and travel guide
- Accommodation (2 nights), dinner on Day 1 and breakfast on Day 2 and Day 3
- Entrance fee for Somaro, the maiko teahouse, and rental fee for white clothing
- Meals and drinks, other than indicated
- Travel insurance
Tour price per person is JPY 99,000.
Tour price per person on all Saturdays and days prior to public holidays is JPY 102,000.
The tour runs between June 15 and October 31, 2019.
The tour does NOT run on the following days and dates: Wednesdays, July 15, August 29 - September 1, and September 6 - 9.
Minimum number of persons required for the tour to run is 4.
Know before you book:
7 days prior to the day of your trip – 40 %,
1 day prior – 50 %,
On the day – 100 %,
No-show – 100 %
- Airfare cancellation:
As soon as your booking is confirmed, your airplane tickets will be issued. In case you cancel the tour, cancellation fees will apply as designated by the airline that has issued your tickets.
Other important information:
- Please allow up to 3 business days for the booking confirmation
- If your preferred date of travel is not available, we will offer the next available date
- You will be asked to provide your clothing size for the white clothing rental
The meeting point is in the arrival lobby of Shonai Airport.
Organised by Japan Travel KK
There are no reviews yet.