- Cycle on small and picturesque roads along the stunning Sea of Japan Coast
- Cycling, hiking and overnight stays on the beautiful, remote and historic Oki Islands
- Explore Matsue, a historic city with an original castle and a world-famous museum with Japan’s number one ranking garden
Join Japan expert and award-winning cycling guide Richard Pearce for a special tour through the San-in region of Japan. San-in is the region of stunning beauty, rich in history and folklore. This region is of spiritual importance to the Japanese.
San-in features heavily in Kojiki, the oldest surviving chronicle of the mythical origins of Japan and its gods. It is seen as the birthplace of Japan. We follow a route in a famous Kojiki tale of the Deity Ōkuninushi and a white hare, between Inaba and Izumo, now known as Tottori and Izumo.
Our adventure begins near Tottori City, as we start our journey along the San-in coastline on the Sea of Japan, to Mount Mitoku, an ancient Buddhist Temple complex. Here we visit Sanbutsuji Temple and have tea with the priests. We will spend the night in traditional lodgings in Misasa Onsen, a spa-town famous for the health restoring properties of its water.
Our journey continues west to Yonago City, passing through rice fields, pear farms and fishing villages in the shadow of the stunning Mount Daisen. The next morning, we begin cycling from the top of the mountain. As we glide through beech forest and lush pastures, we can enjoy spectacular views over the Sea of Japan and of the majestic mountain itself. At the seashore, we cycle along a newly opened coastal cycle path that takes us to the Sakaiminato ferry port via Ejima Bridge, the third largest of its kind in the world, and the small islands of Eshima and Daikonjima.
The next stage of our journey takes us by ferry to the remote Oki Islands, once a place of exile for former emperors, for a two-night stay. Here, we cycle on Nishinoshima and the Dogo Islands, and walk the breathtaking Kuniga coastline.
Back on the mainland, the tour takes us to the “power spot” Mihonoseki Shrine where we can see the morning dances performed by the shrine maidens, before continuing along the stunning coastline en-route to Matsue.
The penultimate day will be spent exploring Matsue, with its impressive, original castle and the world-famous Adachi Museum.
Finally, we continue west along the along beautiful farm roads to Izumo Taisha, Japan’s oldest Shinto shrine and our goal.
Included in price
- Bicycle rental - specialized hybrids to fit
- Tour leader, support staff and support vehicle
- 9 nights hotel, ryokan, minshuku or guesthouse
- 9 breakfasts, 3 evening meals.
- Ferry Crossings
- Entrance fees
- International or domestic flights
- Travel to and from start and end points of tour
- Other meals
- Personal Insurance
The tour dates are October 26th to November 4th, 2019.
Know before you book :
No. of days before Tour start date / Cancellation fee as a % of Tour price
- More than 60 days - Full amount of your deposit
- 40 days to 60 days - 30% of tour price
- 15 days to 39 days - 60% of tour price
- 6 days to 14 days - 75% of tour price
- No show to 5 days - 100% of tour price
- Single/ double rooms in hotels or ryokans. Shared room with a member of the same sex in traditional accommodation.
- Total cycling distance: approx. 411 km
What you need to bring
- Bicycle helmet (rental available on request)
The meeting point is at Tottori Station.
Organised by Bushido Active & Adventure Tours
There are no reviews yet.