- Spend a day in Japan's countryside, meet local people and explore local tastes
- Visit a family-run lotus root ("renkon") farm and learn about the production of this delicious ingredient often found in Asian cuisine
Head to Ibaraki Prefecture for a day of some delicious local food discoveries. Ibaraki Prefecture, northeast of Tokyo, is only an hour and a half away by train. After your arrival at Tsuchiura Station, in organized transportation visit a local "renkon" lotus root farm, a family business run by three brothers. Owing to its wetlands, lotus root production thrives in this area, and it is the largest one in the country. Learn first hand from the farmers how lotus root is grown. You can also see what the production line is like, and have lotus root tasting. Your Lunch will be at a Toemon, a Japanese restaurant that adds a wonderful twist to Italian cuisine or at Shimizuya, which traditionally specializes in “unagi” eel dishes. You will also be visiting a local sake brewery, Tsukinoi Shuzo. In the afternoon you have a choice of two activities. Finally finish the tour at visiting a traditional soy sauce maker. Depending on your chosen activity, in the late afternoon return to Tokyo either from either Tsuchiura Station or Mito Station. Our 1-day Ibaraki food tour will surely offer you a glimpse into a suburban, and rural Japan, each with its own charm.
Itinerary - tour available on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
- Arrive at Tsuchiura Station around 09:00, pick up by van
- Drive to Renkon Sankyoudai, local lotus root producer (visit to lotus root fields, tasting)
- Return to Tsuchiura area
- Lunch at Toemon or Shimizuya
- Drive to Tsukinoi Shuzoten, sake brewery (brewery tour and sake tasting)
- Visit traditional soy sauce maker, Kurosawa Shoten Shoyu
Return to Tokyo from Mito or Tsuchiura Station
Included in price
- Transportation during the tour
- Souvenir at each optional activity (Tsukinoi Shuzo sake brewery: sake or one of their products, and Kurosawa Shoten Shoyu soy sauce maker: dessert and souvenir)
- Original recipes using lotus root when cooking class is chosen as option
- Transportation to/from starting/ending point of the tour
- Any personal expenses
Tour is available on the following days:
Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Let us know your preferred tour date via the live chat option or email <email@example.com>
Have a look at the profiles of chefs whose original recipes you receive upon booking.
Other Important Information:
- Tour content may be changed to the same quality content depending on the season or suppliers’ circumstances.
Know before you book:
- 6 to 4 days prior to the day of your trip – 50 %,
- 3 days prior – 100 %,
- On the day, No-show – 100 %
Organised by Japan Travel KK
There are no reviews yet.