- Visit Takashima-sensei’s workshop in Kyoto’s Kiyomizu area, historically famous for its varied ceramics
- Learn the meaning and methods behind the THE JUNEI HOTEL Kyoto’s custom ceramics, made with a delicate relief pattern on the surface of the wares
- View original items for purchase or custom order and have them delivered from Japan
On Saturday, July 17, from 10:00 am JST, join us on a virtual Japan journey in real-time. Discover the wonders of Kyoto Kiyomizu-yaki ceramics. Meet Mr. Takashima, one of the Traditional Industry of Kyoto’s chosen “Artisans of the Future,” and get a tour of the kiln with your JUNEI HOTEL guide. We’ll show you how the hotel pieces are made with an auspicious pattern in an “Icchin” technique. You can also choose items for later shipment.
Date Available: Saturday, July 17, 2021, 10:00 JST (Japan Standard Time)
We will introduce Mr. Takashima, one of the Traditional Industry of Kyoto’s chosen “Artisans of the Future,” and third-generation heir to Koushun-gama kiln, which produces Kiyomizu-yaki ceramics for both tea ceremony and daily use. THE JUNEI HOTEL Kyoto uses original items with an auspicious “Shichibo” (“Seven Treasures”) pattern produced with a delicate “Icchin” piping technique on the surface of the ceramics, which is then fired at low heat. The final product has a unique tactile sensation and leaves a very distinct impression.
If the customer likes, they can view items for sale at the end of the tour, and purchases can be made in person on the customer’s behalf. Selected items are shipped subsequently when the payment has been arranged and confirmed.
Included in price
- Tour of Koushun-gama kiln
- Interpreting for customers and Takashima-sensei
- Viewing of items available for purchase (teacups, teapots, coffee cups, etc.)
- Purchases and shipping arranged on behalf of the customer (decisions must be made by conclusion of the tour)
- Tour of Kiyomizu area
- The price of any items chosen or shipping costs
Know before you book
2 days prior to the day of your experience: 40 % of tour price
1 day prior: 50 % of tour price
On the day, no-show: 100 % of tour price
- Due to COVID-19, there are no reliable estimates on international shipping times. Customers accept that there may be a long wait for their items.
- The customer must provide credit card information for purchases before the tour.
What you need to bring
- Customers must have their own ZOOM setup
- Camera is unnecessary, microphone is necessary for asking questions
This is an online experience. Once you book the experience, the organizer will send you the Zoom link required for you to access the session.
Organised by The Junei Hotel
There are no reviews yet.
Be the first to review “Kyoto Kiyomizu-yaki Ceramics: Koushun-gama Kiln”