- Savor authentic Japanese matcha. The tea teacher makes authentic matcha in front of you - an event where you can enjoy seeing matcha prepared and drinking it!
- You can have various experiences in a chic Showa era inspired space. Around Sakuragi there is a unique complex where the Showa era and the present mix. You can enjoy shops that carry beer, bread, salt, olives and fashion items in the atmosphere of the elegant Showa period
- Enjoy the tour with a unique guide who's wearing kimono! The Ueno girls' guides are unique, and they like to talk to people. They are not only your guides but also conversation companions with whom you can exchange views on different cultures
With a guide wearing kimono, you can enjoy a full-fledged tea ceremony and a history related commentaries. At the tea house, you can drink matcha from 15 kinds of authentic tea bowls that change every month. During the temple tour, you will learn about Edo period and the ruling Tokugawa family. Next, we will stop by a beer hall that has been renovated from an old private house in Ueno Sakuragicho. You can enjoy eating and drinking while looking at ancient Japanese buildings. In addition, we will visit Yanaka Cemetery. The tomb of Eiichi Shibusawa, a famous Japanese industrialist, best known as the founder of Japanese capitalism, who is on the new 10,000 yen may be found there.
1. Meeting outside ticket gates of JR Ueno Station, Park Gate Entrance
then moving on to Bunka Kaikan HIBIKI Cafe (20 minutes)
where we will give a brief introduction and tour description.
2. The downtown customs museum and Yoshidaya liquor store (10 minutes)
This building was built in the Meiji period (1868-1912). The life and business of the downtown area from the Edo period to the Meiji period have been realistically reproduced, so you can have a rewarding learning experience.
3. Sakai Matcha Tea Experience (60 minutes)
The tea teacher makes authentic matcha in front of you. You can enjoy both watching the tea made and drinking it, during this experience.
4. Sakuragi Atari (25 minutes)
Sakuragi Atari is a unique complex where the Showa era (1926 - 1989) and the present mix. Enjoy shops where items such as beer,
bread, salt, olives are sold, as well as fashion items - and all in a unique atmosphere of the Showa period.
5. Yanaka Cemetery (25 minutes)
The grave of Eiichi Shibusawa, who is often dubbed as the father of capitalism in Japan is found here. Eiicji Shibusawa is on the new 10,000 yen bill.
6. Joumyouin Jizou-sama (10 minutes)
There are over 20,000 Jizo-sama figurines in the area we are visiting. You may ask a Jizo to grant you a wish. When you make a wish and lift the Jizo figurine, it will feels light in your hands when the wish comes true.
7. Kaneiji Nemoto Chudo (15 minutes)
Kaneiji Nemoto Chudo is the representative Buddhist temple of Ueno. You will hear about Japanese history while seeing the temple.
Included in price
- 1 bottle of water
- Guide fee
- Food and drink (about 2,000 yen)
- Admission fee (less than 1,000 yen)
Know before you book
- Cancellation: ２days or less prior to the day of your tour –50 %, 1 day prior – 50%, On the day – 100%, No-show – 100%
- The tour is free for children between the age 3 and 6
- You will receive a confirmation email at the time of booking. Availability of reservation depends on availability. It will be confirmed immediately after application.
- If you have a plan, please contact us by email as soon as possible. We will do our best to meet your requests.
- If you are late for more than 30 minutes, you may not be able to participate.
- Non-wheelchair compatible
- Stroller support
- There is public transportation nearby
- Healthy people can participate in the tour without any age restrictions.
- Private tour / activity. Only your group will participate.
What you need to bring
- This is a long-walking tour. Please come in comfortable clothes.
Organised by Ueno Joshi
There are no reviews yet.