- Learn about the history & culture of tea ceremony seated in a 100 year old, traditional Japanese house
- Watch an authentic tea ceremony
- Try your hand at making a bowl of delicious Matcha
At Camellia we are dedicated to sharing the beautiful culture of tea with the world.
Camellia GARDEN’s striking surroundings make ours one of the most beautiful locations to experience tea ceremony in Kyoto. The traditional Japanese house, which sits amongst stunning gardens, is over 100 years old.
Each session takes one hour. Begin by relaxing with your instructor as they answer your questions and give you a taste of the history and culture of tea in the guest room overlooking the front garden. Then, after enjoying a seasonal sweet, you will be taken through to the tearoom overlooking the back garden, where you will be treated to tea ceremony before trying your hand at making your own Matcha.
Please join us for an unforgettable private tea ceremony.
For 2018 bookings please visit this page.
This experience includes
- Use of authentic tea utensils
- Wagashi sweets
Know before you book
- Cancellations should be made by noon on the day prior to the reservation. We will, of course, review any requests for refunds (due to unforeseen circumstances) after this deadline.
- Photos are permitted throughout, though we ask you to turn off your flash during the tea ceremony. If you wish to take a video, please speak to the tea instructor at the beginning of the session. Please do not hesitate to ask our staff if you require a chair.
- Camellia has two teahouses in Kyoto: Camellia Flower (on Ninenzaka in Higashiyama, East Kyoto) caters for group sessions, and Camellia Garden (close to Ryoan-ji, North West Kyoto) provides private tea ceremonies.
- We can accommodate groups of up to 10 at Camellia GARDEN. If your group is larger than this, we can make special arrangements for you. Please email any requests directly to us.
- Camellia GARDEN can now offer Kimono rental for the duration of your private tea ceremony. For further details please email us directly.
What you need to bring
- A camera or phone to take photographs
We offer group tea ceremony as well. For more information, please visit this page.
The meeting point is at Tea Ceremony Camellia GARDEN.