- Learn a little about the history & culture of Japan’s famous tea ceremony
- Watch an authentic tea ceremony
- Try your hand at making your own bowl of delicious Matcha
At Camellia we dedicate ourselves to sharing the beautiful culture of tea with the world. Tea ceremony lies at the heart of Japanese culture. Enjoying this centuries old practice will offer a deeper understanding of the history, architecture and tastes of Japan. Join us in Kyoto for our group tea ceremony and experience the beauty of this simple yet highly sophisticated aspect of Japanese culture.
Camellia FLOWER offers an island of calm in the bustling heart of Higashiyama. Conveniently located a short walk from Gion and Kiyomizu Temple, the Ninenzaka neighbourhood is also filled with traditional houses, shops and restaurants.
At the start of your session, your instructor will welcome you with a brief introduction to the history and culture of tea, before performing the tea ceremony demonstration. After being served a traditional sweet, you will have the opportunity to make your own bowl of frothy Matcha under the guidance of your instructor.
Sessions are informal and welcoming, and we hope you'll be inspired to ask questions.
For 2018 bookings please visit this page.
Included in price
- Matcha (green tea)
- Use of authentic tea utensils
- Wagashi sweets
- Camellia Flower does not offer Kimono rental. For those interested, we do have a close relationship with a nearby Kimono rental store. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
Know before you book
- Cancellations should be made by noon on the day prior to the reservation. We will, of course, review any requests for refunds (due to unforeseen circumstances) after this deadline.
- We advise all our guests to arrive on time. Although we can sometimes make exceptions, once a session has begun the room is generally closed to latecomers. In these circumstances we will strive to rebook guests into another session wherever possible.
- Photos are permitted throughout, though we ask you to turn off your flash and respect other guests. For the privacy and comfort of the other guests, please do not take videos. If you require a chair, please do not hesitate to ask our staff.
- Small children are of course welcome at Camellia, but we do ask a small favour of parents. The tea ceremony itself (the main focus of the session) lasts from 10-15 minutes and is performed by our instructor in silence. So that everyone can enjoy the peace of this moment we would ask that parents take any crying or fidgeting children down to the waiting room before re-joining the group once the ceremony part is complete. We very much appreciate your understanding in this matter.
- Camellia has two tea houses in Kyoto: Camellia Flower (on Ninenzaka in Higashiyama, East Kyoto) caters for group sessions, and Camellia Garden (close to Ryoan-ji, North West Kyoto) provides private tea ceremonies.
- We can accommodate groups of up to 18 at Camellia FLOWER. If your group is larger than this, we can make special arrangements for you. Please email any requests directly to us.
- Camellia FLOWER now offers private tea ceremony in the duration of 45 minutes, and time slots starting from 10 am, 11 am, 12 pm, 1 pm, 2 pm, 3 pm, 4 pm, and 5 pm respectively. The price per person is 6000 yen. Contact us for more details.
What you need to bring
- A camera or phone to take photographs
Private tea ceremony is offered at Camellia GARDEN as well. For more information, please visit this page.
Organised by Tea Ceremony CAMELLIA
There are no reviews yet.