- Create your own ceramic cup, bowl, or plate, and have it shipped to your home
- Tour the historic Shichiemongama ceramics shop and nearby Heisenji Temple
- Try three small-batch sakes paired with locally produced drinking snacks
Join our carefully curated Hirashimizu Ceramics and sake Experience tour and learn about the famous pottery area. Get creative and create your own piece of pottery. Discover the beautiful pottery village of Hirashimizu by meeting the artisans who make it home. Explore the area further and take a tour of gorgeous Heisenji Temple, and finish with a sake tasting and snacks. (Non-alcohol version of the tour is also available!)
Hirashizmizu is an ancient village surrounded by nature at the edge of Yamagata City. Shichiemongama has been making beautiful works of ceramic art in Hirashimizu for over 150 years and seven generations. We’ll gather at the workshop and take a class from one of the resident masters, during which you’ll get to make your own plate, cup, or rice bowl, or decorative item.
Next, we’ll tour the ceramics factory, showroom, and sublime Heisenji Temple. After that, we’ll indulge in a guided sake tasting at La Jomon boutique, where you’ll get to try Yamagata sakes (paired with tasty, locally produced snacks), all curated by eighteen-year brewing veteran, Taro Kumagai. You’ll also learn about the often-overlooked relationship between Japanese sake and ceramic drinking vessels.
This tour is entirely English-guided and kid-friendly. Non-alcoholic natural juice options will be provided for children and those who wish to not consume alcohol.
Included in price
- Ceramics materials and workshop instruction
- Sake tasting (four pours) with snack pairing
- English guide
- Finished ceramics shipping cost
- Transportation to or from start of tour
Minimum reservation is for two people. Up to 12 people may attend this experience.
Note that we are often able to accommodate different dates and times from those posted on the calendar. If you would like to join at a different time, please contact us and let us know.
Know before you book
- Cancellation (example): 2 days prior to the day of your trip – 40 %, 1 day prior – 50 %, On the day – 100 %, No-show – 100 %
- Finished ceramics require up to 2 months processing time, plus additional time to ship back to your home country
- Sake tasting is available only to customers aged 20 years or older
- Shichiemongama is accessible by local bus or about a 1500-yen cab ride from Yamagata Station. Parking is available to those driving, however, sake tasting is only provided to non-driving customers
What you need to bring
- Valid identification if planning to drink alcohol
Organised by The Hidden Japan
There are no reviews yet.