- Cycling to Uji, a traditional city with a rich tea culture
- Explore the area of old sake breweries and ware houses in Fushimi and learn about sake brewing
- Experience major sightseeing spots in East Kyoto mostly without the tourist crowds
Join our cycling tour to Uji and Fushimi. Start in East Kyoto and explore the picturesque area along the way. On this tour you can get to know some of the most important sights in eastern Kyoto without being constantly surrounded by crowds of other tourists. This tour introduces many aspects of Japanese tradition in places where it has existed for centuries.
The tour starts in front of Kyoto Shijyo Minami-za Theater.
We visit Heian Shrine, the Geisha Quarter Gion, the Zen Temples Kenninji (the oldest Zen Temple in Japan) and Tofukuji, and the Fushimi Inari shrine with its scarlet red shrine gates. From there we continue to Manpuku-ji Temple, the main temple of the Obaku Zen School, which has retained its distinguished Chinese appearance. After visiting the Manpukuji Temple, we cycle to two suburban districts south of Kyoto: Uji, which many people in Japan associate with green tea, and Fushimi. In Uji we visit the famous Byodo-in temple. In the vicinity of the temple there are many tea shops where you can taste green tea in all its manifestations in drinks, desserts, ice cream and pasta. Here is opportunity for a lunch break.
After that we continue along the Uji River to Fushimi, a traditional hub of sake breweries. We visit the Gekkeikan Sake Museum, where you get to know the production process of sake. The area of traditional sake breweries and warehouses in Fushimi served as a backdrop in many films. The road from Fushimi back to the bike station runs along the Kamogawa River.
Included in price
- Touring bikes with 27 gears including a handlebar bag. (E-bikes are available for an extra JPY 3,000 fee)
- Entrance fees for Manpukuji, Gekkeikan Sake museum
- Guide fee
- Drinks and meals
Minimum number of persons required for this tour to run is 1.
Maximum number of persons per tour is 10.
Know before you book
2 days prior to the day of your trip: 40 % of tour price
1 day prior: 50 % of tour price
On the day, no-show: 100 % of tour price
- This tour is not very demanding. The terrain is mostly flat.
- In case of bad weather the tour will be conducted by train. Train fare is included.
What you need to bring
- Clothing and shoes for cycling according to the season including a rain jacket
- If you use a smart phone for navigation you need a power bank to recharge the phone
- Self supported touring requires the free Navigation app Komoot
Organised by Japan Travel KK
There are no reviews yet.