- Witness how an actual Ama diver catches shellfish or seaweed in the water by hands without any diving equipment
- Try the traditional diving yourself guided by the Ama diver
- Listen to the tales of the sea handed down through the generations from older to younger Ama
Dive together with an Ama diving woman and see how to catch shellfish or seaweeds from the rocky sea bottom. Experience a unique cultural tradition in Ise-Shima with Ama divers who will guide you in the world under the sea! Ama divers are powerful and heartwarming women. The number of Ama divers has been decreasing. The situation is the same as in Mie and there are about 800 Ama divers in Mie as of 2014. That number is the largest in Japan. Join our special experience of diving with Ama diver in Ise-shima and learn about this unique Japanese tradition at first hand.
09:30 Meeting at Wagu Gyoko (Port) Briefing of the tour and then change into wet suits at the real Ama Hut. Meet with an Ama diver
10:00 Transfer by a boat to the diving site and Ama Diving Experience (1 h)
11:30 End of the tour
Included in price
- Diving with a local Ama diver (45 mins)
- 1 Ama diver will accompany a group of maximum 3-4 guests. If you are 5 guests, 2 Ama divers will accompany your group
- Boat fare between the port and the diving site
- Diving wet suits
- English-speaking staff
- Travel accident insurance
- If needed, transport between Kashikojima Station and Wagu-ura port
- Food and drinks
Know before you book
- Please note that in case of bad weather like heavy windy weather and high wave, diving cannot be conducted. In that case, instead of diving, participants will have a rare chance to visit real Ama Hut which is still used for the local professional Ama divers and have Ama's hand-made onigiri rice ball and grilled seafood incl 1 Lobster or Abalone and will have a special gift of Ama diver's water glass.
- If you have any allergies or any other restrictions, please let us know.
- Participants must be 13 years of age and above and healthy physically and mentally. Pregnant individuals may not participate in this activity. All participants must sign a liability waiver.
- If possible, please bring your swimwear and water shoes. A few rental items including swimwear, water shoes and snorkel mask are available.
For details, please contact us at <firstname.lastname@example.org> in advance.
3-6 days prior to the tour date: 50 % of tour price
2 or less days prior to the tour date: No refund
Organised by Ist Co., Ltd, DMC Mie & Japan
There are no reviews yet.