- Learn and practice the tea ceremony at an 80-year-old authentic tea house
- Make your own tea bowl
- Attend a tea ceremony using your bowl
Total of 5 hours of experience over 2 days (Saturday, March 2st 10:00-11:30 am & 1:30-3:30 pm Saturday April 6, 11:00-12:00 am). This is a very unique experience - you can attend a tea ceremony using a bowl that you make! On Day 1, you will learn about the tea ceremony and make your own tea bowl. A month later, on Day 2, you can attend a tea ceremony using your bowl at an authentic tea house.
This experience takes place at Houan, in Kita Kamakura. Houan is an authentic tea house which was built in 1934 by an owner who adored Jochiji Valley and a young, energetic architect.
Houan was built on the large spread of land at the foot of the mountain. It features a “sukiya” tea house with eight-mat and four-mat tea rooms surrounded by a roji-style dry garden. There is also a separate small “koma” tea house with thatched roof and a two-mat room, as well as a sweet-water well.
Come to Kita Kamakura, just an hour out of Tokyo, and feel a connection to the nature of our forested valley. A reminder of old Kamakura.
Day 1 - March 2 (Sat)
AM: Intro to Tea Ceremony (1.5 hours, 10:30 - 12:00 am)
Learn and practice the tea ceremony at an 80-year-old authentic tea house, Houan. Learn about manners, traditions and tea bowls. You will touch and see various kinds of bowls and try whisking matcha to get ideas for the tea bowl you will make in the afternoon.
PM: Make your own tea bowl at the pottery studio (2 hours, 1:30 - 3:30 pm)
You will move to the Takara Clay Studio next to the tea house where you will make your tea
bowl in preparation for attending the tea ceremony in April.
Day 2 - April 6 (Sat), Attending a Tea Ceremony (11:00 - 12:00)
Once drying and firing is finished, you can attend a tea ceremony using your bowl at an authentic tea house Houan.
*Please contact us if you are not available on Day 2: firstname.lastname@example.org
This experience includes
- Introduction to the tea ceremony
- Instructions for making your tea bowl
- Matcha tea (x2)
- Seasonal homemade Japanese sweets (x2)
- Entrance fee to Houan (x2)
- Clay and firing fee
- Tea ceremony participation fee
This experience does NOT include
- Transportation to/from the experience venue
Know before you book
Eligibility: Ages 12+
- Please wear socks in the tea house (preferably white) Socks will be on sale at the site as well.
- Dress code is casual. (We do not recommend tight jeans, short skirt)
- Please use public transportation if possible. We have no free parking for our customers. Paid lots are available along the main street.
- Please understand that cell phones do not work well in the area.
What you need to bring
- Hand towel
No refund available 7 days prior to the experience due to preparation.
Please note that cancellation fees will be charged according to the regulation by Peatix.
Each class has a minimum of 4 participants. The class will be canceled 3 days (72 hours)
prior to the date if there are not at least 4 participants signed up.
The meeting point will be at Houan in Kita-Kamakura, about a 10-15 min. walk from JR